Legacy

My mother bestowed upon me, at 5:35 am on Saturday July 28th the greatest honor I could ever hope for. For a woman who told me all my life “when you are dead you are just dead”, the fact that she opened fully to the great mystery of all with such love and grace is beyond comprehension. Until the appointed hour when she again appears to guide my way home, I remain forever altered by these experiences.

I hope you will take a few moments to enjoy some of the images from our her last two months of life and share your thoughts, hopes, dreams, and impressions below.

About these ads

About blessedbebeth - Middlescapes.com

Social worker, educator, writer, and workshop presenter for close to 30 years (23 in Canada) and full time caregiver to my 91 year old WWII veteran mom.
This entry was posted in eldercare caregiving rowing baking midlife enlightenment, Life, love, mindfulness, soul and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

35 Responses to Legacy

1. Alice says:

the photos made me cry. what boundless love, what dedication to your beliefs and values. the photos bring back memories of caring for my father, only possible because of the love he gave me as a child, and my deep sadness when he passed away. I hope his spirit and your mom’s meet wherever they are — wouldn’t that be nice! a long journey ended Beth and a new one for you about to begin. my deepest sympathy, love and respect for you.

• Thank you Alice, I am glad the photos allowed you a way to express year another layer of sadness about the loss of your dad. It has been a tough few days, but this morning is peaceful and I can again hear the birds. Talk soon. much love, Beth

2. Alice says:

the photos made me cry. what boundless love, what tremendous effort and dedication. brought back memories of caring for my father, possible only because of the love he gave me as a child, and the deep sadness when he died. the empty bed. i hope his spirit and your mom’s will meet somewhere — wouldn’t that be nice! A long journey ended and now a new one to begin for you Beth. My love and respect and deepest sympathy to you and your family.

3. Michele Sherman says:

This is Beautiful

4. ijwoods says:

I want to again send you my sincerest sympathies for your loss Beth. You have honored your mother’s life in a remarkable and heartfelt way. Thank you for allowing us to be part of your extended family travelling with you and your mom through a period of time we all must face. It’s an example to all of us of how incredibly beautiful and sweet our passing can be when someone loving and conscious is there by our side. I hope you are well.

5. Ow Beth, my deepest sympathies on your mother’s passing into glory. I kow your memories of her will bnever fad and shall remain imprinted on your heart till eternity. What a great lady she was. Thank you for opening your heart out for us to be part of her last journey. Shalom!

6. Robert Vanderwaall says:

Beth, What a wonderful legacy you have documented. Sometimes I wish my parents would just stay old but sadly they became older and older and older. My mom passed away July 27, 2007 and her passing was not as stressful on me as when my dad died. Maybe I was better prepared for my mom’s passing. I think now that was because my mother and I talked a lot and I asked a lot of questions about her youth during her last few months. She was so interested in so many things during her life and toward the end even welcomed death. I do have some regrets when my father died. He was not much of a talker and I could never get much out of him about the war in Indonesia and the revolution that followed. I also knew that discussing it would make him very sad, so no one asked. I hope you don’t mind me talking about my parents but I think this is what you asked from us. I didn’t know your mom but in a way I can say I did know her by just following your posts. I thank you for sharing that with us. I don’t want to be a burden to anyone when my time comes and I want my kids to know it is OK to get old and die. So I will enjoy life and all of God’s blessings that comes with it and I’ll continue to write, sing carve, paint and share with my siblings, children, grandchildren and friends. God bless you., your friend Robert v.

• Thanks Robert, I too experienced the death of this parent, with time to say and do everything as something far more mysterious and joyful. Those regrets that you experience about your dad – they are clues – seeds to the healing and growth of your heart. Tend them well dear friend until they blossom. This experience has been enriched numerous times by your valuable insight and awareness. blessings to you.

7. Amy Lapetina says:

Beth, YOU showed her the way to “open fully to the great mystery of all”; it was all because of your open spirit of love, patience and kindness. I’ve never known anyone one like you and I am honored to be your friend. Your mother was a strong and independent woman; a great role model. She will be missed very much but I know her spirit will live on in you.

8. pcass57@yahoo.com says:

Beth, I am so impressed with how well you embraced all that I just saw. It took alot for me to watch this and remembering my last moments with my Mom. I am still so sad at her passing and I will never forget the moment she left us. I think you are an amazing woman and very brave to share all of this with your friends. This made me cry, but that is now a bad thing. I’m not entirely sure what I want to say……. my heart is still very heavy. I wish I could be there tomorrow but my life doesn’t allow me right now. Know that I am thinking of you and I love it that you are celabrating her life, it’s the way it should be. God bless you and know that I am thinking of you and your family. Thank You.

9. Joni says:

It seems to be our mothers that , even at the end of the road, are able to impart wisdom and insight. The last words my mother said to me were, “You are so brave. I was never brave.” then she kissed my head and was gone. I sat in shock for a long time realizing the way I lived my life was a direct cause of thinking my mother had been brave though she may not have felt that way, she certainly gave that impression. Considering we had lost my sister not three months prior, and were consumed with sorrow over that life cut short, my mother alowed me her last thought, and in this I saw the selflessness that all mothers give to us. Losing our mothers is the wrench men and women never forget. Your mother had an incredible life as well as an incredible daughter Beth. May you live as I do, with the comfort of your memories. XOXO

10. Sylvie says:

beautiful! I am thinking of you so much.

11. Terre Mirsch says:

Beth,
    Thank you for sharing the intimate moments of your mothers last months, weeks, and days of life. She was clearly loved by many. My hope is that her life, love, and legacy will bring you peace and solace in the days ahead. Know that you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.
    Terre

12. EllaDee says:

Beautiful, gracious and real legacy. I’ve just found your blog in the past few weeks but I’m impressed & inspired and glad I did. Warm thoughts & wishes to you, your Mom, your family & friends, and your wonderful dogs. ♥ EllaDee

• Oh EllaDee, what sweetness you bring. Thank you for this. The dogs, one of whom (Thunder, the larger one) belongs to my neighbors who were away on vacation – never ever left my mothers side, even after she was gone, Thunder laid at the foot of her bed protecting her. It was such and incredible experience and one that will surely shape whatever is coming next. I understand there are no connections in life that are accidents. You arrived at the exact moment that we were both needed by the other. I am looking forward to knowing more about you. In friendship and light, Beth

13. Glennie Bee says:

Dear Beth, thank you sharing for this. Can’t think of anything to say, except that you are in my thoughts. God bless you both.
    Glennie

14. marge says:

Beautiful……

15. ann russell says:

Lux aeterna.
    Om shantishantishanti.

16. Mindy says:

I feel a strangely heavy lightness in my chest as I watch these images. Thank you so very much for sharing them. Rising for me are thoughts of course of my own mom, as well as my own life’s ending… what a gift you have given here, to allow people both to honour and to receive.

I especially loved these: at the beach, getting a pedi (how cool!), and the soft one of her sleeping.

It is so remarkable that you have invited us all into this very private, very special time in your life… I hope both for you and those around you that you are able to continue being so open and bright and authentic as you have shown here. Blessings…

• Mindy, I can totally relate to ‘heavy lightness’ what a wonderful way to describe this. I am glad that it has given you the gifts of consideration to the issues of passing.

Thank you for the feedback about the images. There are so many and it was difficult to choose, so it is lovely to hear that what I was trying to communicate – seems to have been understood.

I have loved each and every comment, insight and question from readers along the way. You all have kept me going when felt questionable and helped me reach ever increasing levels of truth. I am most grateful.

Peace, light, and love to you.

17. Pamela Janz says:

Oh Beth….that was so beautiful…I cant stop crying….Your description of your experience felt so vivid….and the pictures of Marsha…what a beautiful, strong, solid woman….thats the way I remember her…and you are so much like her…..I cant begin to imagine how your mind and body must feel …Seems that a lot of spectacular people are leaving this earth these days…..Sending you much love and many prayers